Most Popular Stories
- Garza makes major changes to city organization
- New forecast modeling puts Austin homeless population near 4,600
- Landmark Commission stalls demolition at former summer camp in Northwest Hills
- Report: APD Training Academy curriculum review flawed, hampered by resistance to reform
- Austin Public Health offers $50 gift cards for COVID vaccinations and boosters
Discover News By District
Meet the candidates
Thursday, August 23, 2018 by Katy McElroy
Municipal election season is rolling right along. The candidates for mayor and City Council have officially filed, and the ballot order has been determined. To help Austinites make informed choices, the Ethics Review Commission and the League of Women Voters are conducting a candidate forum for each district and one for the mayoral contest. At each forum, the candidates will give a brief opening and closing statement and answer questions from a moderator. They will take place:
- Aug. 29: District 3, Pan Am Recreation Center, 2100 E. Third St., 6 p.m.
- Sept. 6: District 1, Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Road, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 27: District 5, South Austin Senior Activity Center, 3911 Manchaca Road, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 27: District 8, South Austin Senior Activity Center, 3911 Manchaca Road, 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 11: District 9, City Hall Chambers, 301 W. Second St., 6 p.m.
- Oct. 11: Mayor, City Hall Chambers, 301 W. Second St., 7:30 p.m.
In addition to these live forums, the city will be recording video statements by each of the candidates for ATXN, and the League of Women Voters will be publishing answers to a questionnaire provided to all candidates on AustinTexas.gov. Find more information on Austin’s 10-1 City Council system, as well as a list of candidates, at www.austintexas.gov/department/10-one.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?