Most Popular Stories
(Rev. 1.2. Last Updated: January 28, 2015)
1. What Personal Information We Collect
You may be asked to provide information that can be used to identify you (your “Personal Information”) when you respond to certain inquiries or choose to use certain sections of the Website. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address. Also, when you visit the Website, we or third-parties acting on our behalf may place a “cookie” – a text file containing a randomly assigned number on your computer – so that we have the ability to customize the look and feel of the Website for you. You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may impede your use of certain of the Website’s features. Using embedded tracking technology, we may also collect a variety of other information regarding your usage of the Website, including your IP address, your username, your session ID, the name of the browser you are using, information regarding web pages you view, referring web pages, and when you access the Website.
2. How We Use Your Personal Information
We (or authorized third-parties acting on our behalf) use your Personal Information in the following ways:
1. to identify members, users, and content providers of the services and content provided via the Website, to the extent the user name contains Personal Information;
2. to customize the look and feel of the Website for you;
3. to internally monitor usage of the Website by you and others in order to enhance the products and services that we currently or will offer in the future; and
4. to provide you with technical and other support.
While we (or authorized third-parties acting on our behalf) use information about our users on an aggregated basis and will often share such data with unaffiliated third parties, this information, by its aggregate nature, contains none of your Personal Information. When we refer to an “unaffiliated” third party, we mean one that (i) is not controlled by us, (ii) does not control us, and (iii) is not controlled by the same party controlling us.
3. When We Disclose Your Personal Information
1. if required by law, regulatory or court order, subpoena or other legal process;
2. if we determine that doing so would be in the public interest (for example, if we were to suspect that you were using the Website in connection with the commission of a crime);
3. in connection with a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization, or liquidation of our publication; and
4. in the context of working with third-party contractors engaged by us in the provision of the Website or related matters.
After we or authorized third-parties acting on our behalf disclose your Personal Information to unaffiliated third parties in such instances, we can no longer control the use or further disclosure of your Personal Information. Consequently, we or authorized third-parties acting on our behalf will not be responsible to you for such use or further disclosure.
4. Correcting Your Information
You can ensure that your account information is correct and current by reviewing and updating it at any time. You may do so as often as necessary by sending us an e-mail, and we will assist you in updating your information.
We and third-parties acting on our behalf take precautions involving physical, electronic, and managerial controls to protect from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, and alteration any of of your Personal Information in our possession. We or authorized third-parties acting on our behalf will employ industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer encryption and/or other encryption or security measures for all communications with the Website. You should note that the confidentiality of any information transmitted over the Internet cannot be guaranteed.
6. Social Media Features
7. Links to Other Sites
8. Changes to this Policy
9. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code § 1798,83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding their disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to [firstname.lastname@example.org] or write us: [Capital of Texas Media Foundation, PO Box 867, Austin, Texas, 78767].
10. Note About the Privacy of Children Under 13
Membership to and use of the Website is restricted to those over the age of thirteen (13).