About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Possible Austin city manager candidate causes ‘s—show,’ but also sheds light on recruiting process
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
Discover News By District
The view from up north
Monday, September 19, 2016 by Elizabeth Pagano
This election cycle, District 6 City Council candidate Jimmy Flannigan was an early adopter of campaign commercials, putting out a series of short videos featuring his opponent’s trademark fedora and asking Austinites whether they had “hat enough.” This past week, incumbent Don Zimmerman joined the fun with a new commercial that features a Bizarro “subsidized” Zimmerman who dresses like Mr. Moneybags, smokes cigars, gives money to corporations and … rides his bike to work? While the cyclist plutocrat is a new trope for us, it’s probably worth remembering that Zimmerman’s advertisements have historically favored style over easy comprehension.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?