About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
Discover News By District
Surrender your guns
Friday, January 24, 2020 by Elizabeth Pagano
The Austin Police Department will be holding its first gun surrender event next Tuesday, Jan. 28. The event is part of a “no questions asked gun surrender service” that allows Austinites to give up their unwanted firearms and ammunition. APD asks those participating:
- Do not walk into the substation with a visible gun or ammunition
- Unload the gun
- Put the gun and ammunition in separate bags
- Bring unwanted gun(s) and ammunition to 812 Springdale Road on Tuesday, Jan. 28, between 3 and 8 p.m.
- Leave the gun or ammunition in the car (trunk or back seat) or bagged (if on foot)
- Tell an officer you are there to turn in a gun and they will safely retrieve it
As noted above, this first event will take place on Tuesday, from 3-8 p.m. at the Robert T. Martinez Central East Substation, which is located at 812 Springdale Road. APD will be holding future gun surrender events on April 28, July 28, Oct. 27, and Jan. 26, 2021. More information about the gun surrender program can be found on the city’s website.