Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Possible Austin city manager candidate causes ‘s—show,’ but also sheds light on recruiting process
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
Discover News By District
Planning Commission denies rezone in East Riverside Corridor
Wednesday, May 3, 2017 by Joseph Caterine
Against staff’s recommendation, the Planning Commission on April 25 denied an application to rezone 5201 E. Riverside Drive as outside of the East Riverside Corridor. According to Andrew Moore, who is a senior planner with the city’s Planning and Zoning Department, he was prompted by another Riverside resident to look at staff records to see whether the property had ever been intended to be part of the corridor, and what he found was that it had not. Nevertheless, Commissioner Patricia Seeger expressed concern that the owner of the property in question, a foster home facility called Casey Family Programs, had not been consulted in staff’s deliberation. “In a letter (to me) they indicated that if (this property) was pulled out of the (East Riverside Corridor) and they had to relocate it could cause issues,” she said. The motion passed unanimously, with commissioners Chito Vela and Nuria Zaragoza absent.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?