Most Popular Stories
- New forecast modeling puts Austin homeless population near 4,600
- Texas Legislature could derail Austin’s transit expansion
- Austin Public Health offers $50 gift cards for COVID vaccinations and boosters
- Zoning case at Planning Commission highlights ‘broken’ Land Development Code, prompts fixes from Council
- Report: APD Training Academy curriculum review flawed, hampered by resistance to reform
Discover News By District
Paint it red
Tuesday, July 30, 2019 by Tai Moses
Motorists who think they’re seeing red aren’t having road rage, they’re looking at Austin’s newest bus lane. Austin Transportation and Capital Metro got the bright idea to paint the bus lanes on Lavaca and Guadalupe streets tomato-red in an effort to relieve congestion. The new red bus lanes are just that – for buses only. Once the project is completed, buses in the red lanes will flow against traffic in what is called a “contraflow” bus lane. Here’s a diagram of the changes and additional improvements in the area. You can see more pictures of the contraflow lanes on the Transportation Department’s Twitter account.
Photo courtesy of Austin Transportation Department.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?