Most Popular Stories
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- City breaks ground on the Barton Springs bathhouse
- City nixes $2M McKinsey homelessness study, signaling poor cooperation among partners
Discover News By District
Last chance to comment on proposed cemetery rules
Wednesday, December 13, 2017 by Katy McElroy
Austin is in the process of updating its rules regarding cemeteries, and they are almost ready. The Parks and Recreation Department created its first draft after reviewing current rules and policies regarding cemeteries along with recommendations from the 2015 Cemetery Rules Project Report. This draft was then reviewed internally and by the city Law Department. After this, the department held two stakeholder meetings for community feedback, which was incorporated into the current draft. Now it’s time for the public review period: The final draft of the proposed rules was posted by the Office of the City Clerk yesterday, and the review period will continue through Friday, Jan. 12. Following the review period, the rules will be sent to the cemetery administrator for adoption. You can view the proposed rules here, and send comments to D’Anne Williams at Danne.Williams@austintexas.gov.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?