About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- City breaks ground on the Barton Springs bathhouse
Discover News By District
Highland Mall redevelopment continues
Wednesday, July 8, 2015 by Elizabeth Pagano
ACC Highland is getting its first multifamily development. Yesterday, RedLeaf Properties and Greystar Real Estate Management announced plans for a new mixed-use community on the site of the former mall. According to a statement about the project, the development – designed by the Michael Hsu Office of Architecture – will be four and five stories and feature “approximately 300 units, of which 30 will be reserved as income-qualifying affordable units. Approximately 5,000 square feet of retail for locally oriented businesses will wrap a parking garage that will be hidden from view.” The community will replace a surface parking lot that served the former shopping mall. RedLeaf and Greystar anticipate a groundbreaking this fall, with the first apartments scheduled to be completed in 2017.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?