Most Popular Stories
- Austin apartments boomed and rents went down. Now, some builders are dismantling the cranes.
- As Council prepped public support, local Google workers learned of layoffs
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- Austin makes library cards free to people outside the city
Discover News By District
Fish for free this Saturday
Thursday, June 3, 2021 by Tai Moses
Fish all over Texas are trembling in anticipation of Free Fishing Day, an annual extravaganza taking place this Saturday, June 5, when anglers may cast their lines in any public waterway without a fishing license. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Inland Fisheries Director Craig Bonds described the event as a “wonderful opportunity for anglers to share their knowledge, skills, equipment, and love for fishing,” adding he hoped participants would also learn that “purchasing a license is an act of conservation. A fishing license purchase is one of the simplest and most effective ways people can support fisheries science and management.” TPWD has many different programs and resources for anglers of all skill levels and ages, from a primer called How to Fish to instructions on mastering the art of fish release. Learn more at TakeMeFishing.org.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?