About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Austin apartments boomed and rents went down. Now, some builders are dismantling the cranes.
- As Council prepped public support, local Google workers learned of layoffs
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- Travis County celebrates shift to telework
Discover News By District
Doggett joins boycott
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 by Elizabeth Pagano
On Tuesday afternoon, U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-Austin) joined the growing number of House Democrats in boycotting President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration on Friday. In a brief statement on Twitter, Doggett said, “We are sending a message to Mr. Trump. Respect, like Pennsylvania Avenue, is a two-way street. Instead of uniting our country, his continued unprecedented, unpresidential actions are further dividing it. By repeatedly taking the lowest road, he is not showing respect for the highest office. We are in for a long struggle that must strategically utilize every nonviolent opposition tool available.” Doggett will be joined by two other Texas representatives – U.S. Rep. Al Green (D-Houston) and U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-San Antonio) – in boycotting the inauguration. At press time, more than 50 House Democrats had vowed to boycott the event, though no senators had committed to the protest.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?