About the Author
Mike Kanin is the Publisher of the Austin Monitor. As such, he doesn't report on much--aside from the workings of the Monitor--any more. In his previous life as a freelance journalist, Kanin has written for the Washington City Paper, the Washington Post's Express, the Boston Herald, Boston's Weekly Dig, the Austin Chronicle, and the Texas Observer.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Possible Austin city manager candidate causes ‘s—show,’ but also sheds light on recruiting process
- Council approves climate funding and telework policies
- Austin area has dangerously high levels of air pollution, according to new EPA standards
Discover News By District
Council set to consider Bull Creek land sale
City Council members are set to conduct an executive session discussion of the potential sale of a swath of state-owned land at Bull Creek Road and 45th Street. This, of course, is the 75-acre TxDOT tract that’s drawn widespread attention and concern from neighbors in the area. Last week, the Statesman reported that Stratus Properties “is working with H-E-B to acquire the site.” The paper put the value of the tract at “almost $900,000 per acre.”
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?