About the Author
Jo Clifton is the Politics Editor for the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Bee Cave residents sue city over proposed roadway
- Council considering allowing tiny homes, RVs as accessory dwelling units
- Austin policy lets builders forgo red tape. The result? More affordable housing, less public input.
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Preservationists grapple with front lawn makeover at Tarrytown Tudor
Discover News By District
Committee seeks name change
Thursday, September 22, 2022 by Jo Clifton
Members of the city’s Commission on Seniors have asked that their group be renamed the Commission on Aging. Stephanie Hall from the Office of the City Clerk presented the proposed name change to the City Council Audit and Finance Committee, noting that the term “seniors” is falling out of use when describing older adults. The commission says that use of the term “aging” “would be consistent with names of other similar commissions and with the name of local, state and national agencies and organizations addressing the needs of older adults,” according to backup documentation provided to the committee. Council members Leslie Pool and Kathie Tovo indicated agreement with the idea, but the entire Council must agree to the name change.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?