About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Austin apartments boomed and rents went down. Now, some builders are dismantling the cranes.
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- City breaks ground on the Barton Springs bathhouse
- Travis County celebrates shift to telework
Discover News By District
City creates Applicant Review Panel for redistricting
Monday, October 5, 2020 by Elizabeth Pagano
Last week, the Office of the City Auditor launched the process of City Council redistricting by forming the Applicant Review Panel. The three members of the panel, who were randomly selected, are James Christianson, Abigael McClean and William Cooper. The panel is tasked with reviewing 270 qualified applicants to the Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission and selecting the 60 most qualified applicants. From the pool of 60, after Council has had an opportunity to strike one member each, 14 members will be selected to redraw the boundaries of the Council districts. Despite a push for a diverse panel, all three panel members are white, and as the Austin American-Statesman reported, some citizens are concerned. More information about the whole process can be found here.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?