Most Popular Stories
Discover News By District
Cap MetroRail construction begins June 3
Thursday, May 23, 2019 by Katy McElroy
Heads up: Capital Metro’s MetroRail construction begins next month and it will affect service. Starting June 3, the Downtown Station will close through the end of 2019 to accommodate work to expand and enhance the current temporary station. In addition, MetroRail’s weekend service will be discontinued until the end of the year to allow for the implementation of a positive train control system to meet federal requirements. The agency will be amping up its MetroExpress service and the High-Frequency Network to cover the service interruption. Of note on weekdays:
- The Route 451 Downtown/Saltillo Shuttle will take MetroRail riders from Plaza Saltillo to Fourth and Trinity streets. Note that MetroRail trains will leave at their scheduled times and not wait for shuttles, so customers heading north should plan accordingly.
- MetroExpress Routes 980 and 985 will have additional service to accommodate new riders.
- Commuters catching the bus home from downtown should use the MetroExpress bus stop at Guadalupe and Fifth streets (Stop ID 2612).
On weekends, instead of the Saturday rail service, the following buses will run:
- MetroExpress Route 980 North MoPac Express will operate between 4 p.m. and midnight, serving Howard Station, downtown and the UT campus.
- MetroExpress Route 985 Leander/Lakeline Direct will operate between 4 p.m. and midnight, serving Leander and Lakeline stations, downtown and the UT campus.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?