About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Bee Cave residents sue city over proposed roadway
- Council considering allowing tiny homes, RVs as accessory dwelling units
- Austin policy lets builders forgo red tape. The result? More affordable housing, less public input.
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Preservationists grapple with front lawn makeover at Tarrytown Tudor
Discover News By District
Budget is coming
Monday, May 1, 2017 by Elizabeth Pagano
Though it will still be several months until any decisions are made, budget season is upon us. City Council has slowly been working through the upcoming budget, which looks like it may be a doozy. And, the Austin Monitor would like you to remember that you can play along at home! Each year, the city’s Budget Office puts together a plan to help get residents involved in the process. This year, that strategy involves a revamp of the city’s budget simulator that allows anyone to play around with increasing and decreasing funding in 11 city departments funded by the General Fund to illustrate the real-time change to the budget, taxes and fees. There are also snapshots of the current state of different city budgets. For all that fun, and a bonus video, head over to the city’s website.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?