Most Popular Stories
- Austin apartments boomed and rents went down. Now, some builders are dismantling the cranes.
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- City breaks ground on the Barton Springs bathhouse
- Travis County celebrates shift to telework
Discover News By District
AISD walks the block
Friday, May 28, 2021 by Tai Moses
Residents of the Dove Springs neighborhood may hear a knock on their doors on Saturday, June 5, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Nope, it’s not Avon calling, just some friendly volunteers from the Austin Independent School District, here to share information about some of the district’s programs, including free prekindergarten, fine arts classes, before- and after-school enrichment, and career prep. AISD teachers, staff and community volunteers are walking the blocks as part of Operation Reconnect, a door-to-door campaign to “learn about families’ educational needs and priorities as well as welcome more learners to AISD’s family of schools.” The campaign focuses on Houston, Langford, Perez, Palm, Rodriguez, Uphaus, and Widén elementary schools and Mendez Middle School.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?