About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Bee Cave residents sue city over proposed roadway
- Austin policy lets builders forgo red tape. The result? More affordable housing, less public input.
- New state law limits Austin’s Parkland Dedication Ordinance
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Barton Springs bridge gets new rules
Discover News By District
AISD budget hearing tonight
Monday, June 22, 2020 by Elizabeth Pagano
The Austin Independent School District will hold a virtual public meeting on its proposed budget and tax rate for the 2020-21 school year today. Those who would like to comment must call 512-414-0130 between 7:45 a.m. and 3 p.m. today, where they will be able to record 60-second remarks that will be aired during the meeting. The meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be broadcast live on AISD.TV and the AISD Facebook page. This year, among other budget issues the board will consider, the Austin Justice Coalition has issued a call to:
- Divest from strategies that contribute to the school-to-prison pipeline, including excessive funding for school police departments;
- Reallocate funds to district-wide implementation of culturally responsive restorative practices;
- Publish AISD Police Department budget information online;
- Publish AISD Police Department policies and data, especially use-of-force policy data, online;
- Develop key performance indicators for AISD Police Department, and hosting an annual Board Work Session for status updates;
- Publish School Safety and Security Committee information online.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?