Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Possible Austin city manager candidate causes ‘s—show,’ but also sheds light on recruiting process
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- City breaks ground on the Barton Springs bathhouse
Discover News By District
Eastside Memorial wins Rather Prize
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 by Nora Ankrum
Eastside Memorial High School has won $10,000 in the statewide competition for the Rather Prize, co-founded by news anchor Dan Rather and his grandson Martin Rather. The prize goes to the school that proposes “the best idea for improving education,” according to an announcement from the Austin Independent School District. Called the “STEP Up Challenge,” the winning idea proposed by Eastside students and staff “includes academic counseling, worksite experiences and college readiness workshops to motivate high school students to step up to, accept and overcome the challenges presented to them,” says the announcement. Students and staff will present their idea at SXSWedu, and the Rice University Center for Civic Leadership will conduct a feasibility study of the proposal.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?