Most Popular Stories
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
- Staff, City Council continue to work on HOME initiative
- Austin throws $2.6 million more into project converting hotel into housing for elderly people without homes
Discover News By District
14th annual Back-to-School Bash prepares kids for new school year
Thursday, July 25, 2019 by Tai Moses
Each year, the Austin school district and the city’s Safe Routes to School program partner up to throw a Back to School Bash to make sure kids – and their parents – are ready to start the new school year. The free community event features presentations on safety and educational best practices; health screenings and booster seats; and more than 4,500 free backpacks filled with school supplies. More than 120 community organizations and municipal and district departments will be on hand to provide information and free activities intended to support AISD students. A free shuttle beginning at 6:30 a.m. from several AISD campuses will be available for families who need transportation, and Capital Metro will also be providing free transportation to the event. Check this page to find departure locations. Saturday, Aug. 3, 8 a.m.-noon, Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Road.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?