Most Popular Stories
Discover News By District
TipSheet: Travis County, 10.9.18
Tuesday, October 9, 2018 by Ryan Thornton
Travis County Commissioners Court will meet Tuesday at 9 a.m. for their weekly voting session. In the interests of time and space we have listed a handful of items from the agenda below. The full agenda can be found on the Travis County website.
1. Receive comments regarding a plat for recording: Village at Northtown Section 3 Resubdivision of Lot 5 Block C (148 single-family lots, three drainage lots – 36.69 acres – John Henry Faulk Road – water and wastewater provided by Northtown MUD – City of Austin two-mile ETJ) in Precinct One. (Action Item 17A) (Commissioner Travillion)
2. Approve proclamation recognizing the week of October 7-13, 2018, as “Fire Prevention Week” in Travis County. (Commissioners Shea & Daugherty)
16. Consider and take appropriate action regarding the effects of recent National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Atlas 14 rainfall intensity and floodplain findings on future Travis County Capital Improvement Program (CIP) projects. (Commissioners Travillion & Shea)
Monitor’s Take: As is likely to continue in years to come, the city is having to adjust to the new extremes of drought and flood we’re experiencing. We are scratching housing plans to create more streets for water drainage and recalibrating our definition of a “100-year rain event” to better fit the deluges wrought by climate change. And when floodwaters wash away without soaking into the ground, we’re left with droughts and threats of wildfires.
11. Receive presentation on the proposed Velocity Crossing Public Improvement District. (Commissioner Gómez)
Monitor’s Take: Located just east of Del Valle not far from the airport, the PID will feature a cinema, multifamily housing, an HEB and numerous retail spaces. Relatively dense developments like this are popping up around Austin and Travis County, providing some long-needed resources to underserved areas but usually raising living costs at the same time. The development appears compatible with the long-term vision of Capital Metro’s Project Connect vision, which sees the greater Austin area as a kind of polycentric city with each dense center connected by local transit. This is only a presentation as part of a petition to earn official PID status and no decisions will be made.
24. Consider and take appropriate action on: A. Exemption and award of Contract No. 4400003942, Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas, Inc., for Teen Health Services
B. Ratifying award of Contract No. 4400003942 (Commissioner Daugherty)
Monitor’s Take: Health and Human Services has requested the county exempt Planned Parenthood from undergoing the competitive procurement process following the expiration of their contract with the city. The county has this power as long as the services provided by Planned Parenthood operate through a direct partnership with HHS or via an interdepartmental partnership or investment. The exemption will allow for the adoption of a new contract between HHS and Planned Parenthood. As Planned Parenthood’s Teen Health Program is the only social service contract for prevention of teen pregnancy in Travis County, the exemption is likely to be granted and the new contract adopted.
The Austin Monitor’s work is made possible by donations from the community. Though our reporting covers donors from time to time, we are careful to keep business and editorial efforts separate while maintaining transparency. A complete list of donors is available here, and our code of ethics is explained here.
Do you like this story?
There are so many important stories we don't get to write. As a nonprofit journalism source, every contributed dollar helps us provide you more coverage. Do your part by joining our subscribers in supporting our reporters' work.
Key Players & Topics In This Article
Travis County Commissioners Court: The legislative body for Travis County. It includes representatives from the four Travis County Precincts, as well as the County Judge. The County Judge serves as the chair of the Court.