About the Author
Jo Clifton is the Politics Editor for the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- New forecast modeling puts Austin homeless population near 4,600
- Texas Legislature could derail Austin’s transit expansion
- Report: APD Training Academy curriculum review flawed, hampered by resistance to reform
- Landmark Commission stalls demolition at former summer camp in Northwest Hills
- Austin Public Health offers $50 gift cards for COVID vaccinations and boosters
Discover News By District
- The process of implementing automated parking pay stations at Zilker is almost finished
- Bring your signs honoring César Chávez for annual march and celebration set for Saturday
- It’s time to hurry up and get storm debris to the curb
- Council OKs plan for libraries
- APD crime crackdown during SXSW resulted in multiple arrests and drug seizures
Key Players & Topics In This Article
Austin City Council: The Austin City Council is the body with legislative purview over the City of Austin. It offers policy direction, while the office of the City Manager implements administrative actions based on those policies. Until 2015, the body contained seven members, including the city's Mayor, all elected at-large. In 2012, City of Austin residents voted to change that system and as of 2015, 10 members of the Council are elected based on geographic districts. The Mayor continues to be elected at-large.
Zilker Neighborhood Association: Zilker is a neighborhood in south central Austin, Texas. It extends south of Lady Bird Lake, approximately bounded by the Union Pacific Railway to the southeast/south, Barton Skyway to the south, Rabb Road and Robert E Lee Road to the west and Lady Bird Lake to the north.