Most Popular Stories
- City to ban unsafe fence designs
- Former city employee abused sick leave policy, audit says
- On-street light rail route selected as best option for city’s mass transit plan
- Judge will see secret personnel file of Austin police officer charged with murder in Mike Ramos shooting death
- Austin is opening a temporary homeless shelter in Southeast Austin
Discover News By District
Key Players & Topics In This Article
Austin City Council: The Austin City Council is the body with legislative purview over the City of Austin. It offers policy direction, while the office of the City Manager implements administrative actions based on those policies. Until 2015, the body contained seven members, including the city's Mayor, all elected at-large. In 2012, City of Austin residents voted to change that system and as of 2015, 10 members of the Council are elected based on geographic districts. The Mayor continues to be elected at-large.
Mayor Steve Adler: Mayor of the city of Austin, elected in November 2014
short term rentals: Properties rented for fewer than 30 days.
SXSW: Organizers of the massive annual festival that takes over the City of Austin each March. SXSW has donated to the Capital of Texas Media Foundation.
Transportation Network Companies: Companies that provide transportation services through applications such as Uber or Lyft.