About the Author
Mike Kanin is the Publisher of the Austin Monitor. As such, he doesn't report on much--aside from the workings of the Monitor--any more. In his previous life as a freelance journalist, Kanin has written for the Washington City Paper, the Washington Post's Express, the Boston Herald, Boston's Weekly Dig, the Austin Chronicle, and the Texas Observer.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Possible Austin city manager candidate causes ‘s—show,’ but also sheds light on recruiting process
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
Discover News By District
Key Players & Topics In This Article
Austin Animal Shelter: This shelter is the official shelter of the city of Austin, opened in 2011. It is located in East Austin on Levander Loop.
No-Kill: A policy that reserves euthanasia only for terminally ill or dangerous animals. Austin has worked to be a No-Kill City since 2010.