Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Rep. Greg Casar files bill to connect Texas grid to rest of the country
- Lacking a sense of cultural belonging, many Black Austinites are relocating
- Austin-area school board president abruptly resigns and leaves meeting
- Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin
- City breaks ground on the Barton Springs bathhouse
Discover News By District
Three Californians tapped as finalists for Austin Energy post
Thursday, June 17, 2010 by Austin Monitor
City Manager Marc Ott has chosen three California utility executives to interview for the position of General Manager of Austin Energy, according to well-informed sources at City Hall. None of the candidates who work at Austin Energy—Karl Rábago, Cheryl Mele and Kerry Overton—made the cut. Environmentalists’ tongues were wagging Thursday morning as news spread that Rábago would not be on the finalist list since many of them were hoping he would become the next General Manager.
The finalists are Ronald Davis, General Manager, Burbank, Calif., Water and Power; Larry Weis, General Manager and Chief Executive Officer, Turlock, Calif., Irrigation District; and David Wright, General Manager, City of Riverside, Calif., Public Utilities.
City management plans to interview these candidates on June 30, with a public forum scheduled for that evening.
You're a community leader
And we’re honored you look to us for serious, in-depth news. You know a strong community needs local and dedicated watchdog reporting. We’re here for you and that won’t change. Now will you take the powerful next step and support our nonprofit news organization?