Most Popular Stories
Discover News By District
Water main prompts downtown street closures
Monday, August 8, 2016 by Nora Ankrum
The city has released an update on changes that will affect downtown traffic due to the ongoing construction of a reclaimed water main. Motorists in the area should be aware of the following lane closures:
- West 11th Street between Congress Avenue and Lavaca Street
- Westbound East 12th Street between Trinity and Red River streets
- Trinity Street between Martin Luther King Boulevard and 18th Street (leaving one remaining lane of northbound traffic)
- Westbound West Fourth Street between San Antonio and Guadalupe streets
- San Antonio Street between Fifth and Sixth streets
- Westbound West 10th Street between West Avenue and Rio Grande Street (weekdays only, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
In addition, there will be a pipe staged in Butler Park in preparation for drilling. When complete, the main will ultimately supply downtown with reclaimed water that can be used for “a variety of non-potable uses such as irrigation and cooling towers,” according to the city’s announcement. More information on the reclaimed water program can be found here.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?