Most Popular Stories
- City to ban unsafe fence designs
- ‘There is no cure’: Austin urges people to keep dogs away from possibly toxic blue-green algae
- Austin’s light-rail plans set to advance after narrowly dodging Texas-sized wrecking ball
- On-street light rail route selected as best option for city’s mass transit plan
- Good news, bad news from Legislature for Austin
Discover News By District
Volunteers rally to create new playground for Wooten park
Monday, November 4, 2019 by Tai Moses
An army of community volunteers will join KaBOOM! to transform an empty site into a state-of-the-art playground in a single day. Volunteers from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, Austin Parks and Recreation Department, Austin Parks Foundation and around the Austin area will gather at Wooten Neighborhood Park to build a play area designed by local kids who contributed drawings of their dream playscape in September. Wooten currently has no playground, since the equipment that used to be there was deemed substandard by PARD. Community members who would like to volunteer may register online for the project, which has three days of volunteer opportunities: Two prep days on Nov. 4-5, and one construction day on Nov. 6. No construction experience is necessary and jobs are available for all ability levels.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?