About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Bee Cave residents sue city over proposed roadway
- Council considering allowing tiny homes, RVs as accessory dwelling units
- Austin policy lets builders forgo red tape. The result? More affordable housing, less public input.
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Preservationists grapple with front lawn makeover at Tarrytown Tudor
Discover News By District
SXSW fees waived
Friday, December 18, 2015 by Elizabeth Pagano
In a vote of 10-0-1, City Council approved $309,310 in fees for the South by Southwest Music, Film, and Interactive Festival. Council Member Don Zimmerman abstained from the vote. Council Member Greg Casar said that he didn’t think the way the city has handled fee waivers for the festival accurately showed what the city was, in fact, doing. “It looks like a fee waiver for a parade downtown. This is very different than that,” said Casar. He asked for everyone to think about it as “something different” and to consider what responsibility falls on the city and what falls on event organizers. In that spirit, he thanked organizers for “stepping up and sharing the burden more.” Casar added a provision that, in the future, “such agreements should outline the roles and responsibilities of the parties, potentially for multiple years.”
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?