Sections

About Us

 
Make a Donation
Fully-Local • Non-Partisan • Public-Service Journalism
 

Stovetops are for cooking

Monday, October 3, 2016 by Nora Ankrum

In a nod to Fire Prevention Month, the Austin Fire Department is reminding folks not to set things unattended on top of their stoves. Apparently this behavior has been the cause of several recent fires around town. “People don’t realize just how easily a fire can start from their stove,” said Fire Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr in a statement from the city. “We’ve had at least two this year caused by a dog who was trying to get something off the stovetop and accidentally turned on a knob. Another started when a box was left on top of the stove during move-in and a knob got bumped.” The department is also reminding people that they should replace their smoke alarms every 10 years and install them “on every level of the home, outside sleeping areas, and inside bedrooms.” More safety information is available here.

Join Your Friends and Neighbors

We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?

Back to Top