About the Author
Mike Kanin is the Publisher of the Austin Monitor. As such, he doesn't report on much--aside from the workings of the Monitor--any more. In his previous life as a freelance journalist, Kanin has written for the Washington City Paper, the Washington Post's Express, the Boston Herald, Boston's Weekly Dig, the Austin Chronicle, and the Texas Observer.
Most Popular Stories
- Bee Cave residents sue city over proposed roadway
- Council considering allowing tiny homes, RVs as accessory dwelling units
- Austin policy lets builders forgo red tape. The result? More affordable housing, less public input.
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Preservationists grapple with front lawn makeover at Tarrytown Tudor
Discover News By District
Stokes on track for City Auditor post
Among the 182 items on City Council’s Thursday agenda are two that may have the collective impact of appointing current Deputy City Auditor Corrie Stokes to replace current City Auditor Ken Mory, who is leaving at the end of the year. Stokes has been with the city since 1999. The items come with three sponsors — Council Members Laura Morrison and Bill Spelman, as well as Mayor Pro Tem Sheryl Cole — so all Stokes will need is another vote to take the seat. We like her chances.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?