About the Author
Jo Clifton is the Politics Editor for the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
- Cap Metro settles with city on East Austin real estate deal that paves the way for wastewater project
- Austin throws $2.6 million more into project converting hotel into housing for elderly people without homes
Discover News By District
Reprieve for Manuel’s, Arbor movie theater
Wednesday, July 3, 2019 by Jo Clifton
Fans of independent films and Northwest Austin residents who just can’t get enough of Manuel’s Mexican food were devastated by news that a developer would be dramatically revamping the shopping center at U.S. Highway 183 and Great Hills Trail – home to both Manuel’s and the iconic Arbor movie theater. When Chicago-based Heitman Properties announced a massive redevelopment plan for the property and the Great Hills Trail shopping centers in 2017, many Austinites feared the worst and voiced their objections at neighborhood meetings and at Austin City Hall. On Tuesday, however, Manuel’s announced that it was extending its lease through 2025. That lease extension includes generous parking allowances for the Regal Cinemas Arbor 8 movie theater, Pier 1 Imports, Petco and other retailers, according to a news release from Manuel’s. “To paraphrase Mark Twain, the rumors of our demise have been exaggerated,” said Greg Koury, founder and co-owner of Manuel’s. “We look forward to providing great experiences for our loyal patrons by serving high-quality, regional Mexican food at Manuel’s Great Hills for years to come.”
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?