Most Popular Stories
- New forecast modeling puts Austin homeless population near 4,600
- Texas Legislature could derail Austin’s transit expansion
- Report: APD Training Academy curriculum review flawed, hampered by resistance to reform
- Austin Public Health offers $50 gift cards for COVID vaccinations and boosters
- Landmark Commission stalls demolition at former summer camp in Northwest Hills
Discover News By District
Parklet for thought
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 by Nina Hernandez
Who doesn’t enjoy hanging out in parking lots? The joy of teenagers and loiterers everywhere, now you too can partake. There’s a worldwide event in September where communities reimagine their drab parking spaces as mini parks, or “parklets,” and Austin is yet again taking part. The deadline for submitting parklet applications is Tuesday, Sept. 12. Be prepared to pay $35 for a permit and a parking fee. Keep in mind there are rules governing parking, advertising, vending, amplified sound, and the obstruction of sidewalks and crosswalk paths. If you’re not up for the organizing side of things, you can also take in other people’s work. The festivities begin at 8 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 15.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?