About the Author
Jo Clifton is the Politics Editor for the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Transit leaders preparing new Project Connect scenarios for March open house
- New forecast modeling puts Austin homeless population near 4,600
- Google Fiber to expand presence in Travis County
- Texas Legislature could derail Austin’s transit expansion
- Austin Public Health offers $50 gift cards for COVID vaccinations and boosters
Discover News By District
Wednesday, December 21, 2016 by Jo Clifton
Mayor Steve Adler and his wife, Diane Land, will soon be taking off for their Christmas/New Year’s vacation. Although they frequently travel to Mexico, they’re going a bit farther this time. Adler told the Austin Monitor that they would be visiting the African nation of Rwanda to see gorillas. According to the mayor, his wife wanted to make sure that they went to a location where he would be less tempted to work via email and cellphone. In addition to its remoteness, of course, Rwanda is one of the few places in the world where one can see gorillas in their natural habitat. Adler said they would be back during the first week of January, in time for the inauguration of new City Council members Jimmy Flannigan and Alison Alter.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?