About the Author
Jo Clifton is the Politics Editor for the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
- Staff, City Council continue to work on HOME initiative
- Austin throws $2.6 million more into project converting hotel into housing for elderly people without homes
Discover News By District
Neighborhood voices concerns over traffic bollards
Wednesday, March 8, 2023 by Jo Clifton
Members of the Barton Hills neighborhood have been fuming for a couple of weeks now over some unusually intrusive traffic-calming devices on Barton Skyway, between Barton Hills Drive and Skyway Circle close to South Lamar. As of late Tuesday afternoon, 575 people had signed a petition to try to convince the city’s Transportation Department to make changes to a street they say has suddenly become much more difficult to navigate. The petition contends that changes intended to make the street safer, particularly for bicyclists, has made it less safe instead. According to the petition,“We, the residents of Barton Hills have witnessed many near accidents, and confusion as drivers try to navigate the path. In addition, the sticks have narrowed both sides of the road to the extreme and make it very difficult to turn in or off of Barton Skyway. We also find the design to be extremely unattractive.”
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?