Most Popular Stories
- ‘Little Luckenbach’ could link Sam’s Town Point to $270M South Austin entertainment district
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- City Council moves toward enshrining remote work options
- City releases new telework standards for its employees
Discover News By District
Monitor and KUT to host live ride-hailing debate
Wednesday, April 6, 2016 by Nora Ankrum
The Austin Monitor and KUT are hosting a live debate on the merits of Proposition 1 ahead of the May 7 election. Prop 1 would replace City Council’s ride-hailing regulations (including the requirement that drivers for transportation network companies undergo fingerprint-based background checks) with less strict TNC regulations proposed by the Uber- and Lyft-backed Ridesharing Works for Austin. Huey Rey Fischer and Joe Bowen of Ridesharing Works will be arguing in favor of Prop 1, while former Council Member Laura Morrison and Dean Rindy of Our City, Our Safety, Our Choice will be arguing against it. KUT’s Nathan Bernier and the Monitor‘s Audrey McGlinchy and Caleb Pritchard will moderate. Join us Thursday, April 14, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the North Door, 501 Brushy St. Register for free here.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?