Most Popular Stories
- Bee Cave residents sue city over proposed roadway
- Council considering allowing tiny homes, RVs as accessory dwelling units
- Are rents falling? Apartment association sees construction, weak demand causing ‘negative rent growth’
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Preservationists grapple with front lawn makeover at Tarrytown Tudor
Discover News By District
Lifeguards returning to pools
Friday, July 9, 2021 by Tai Moses
Finally, it looks as if Austin’s lifeguard shortage may be drawing to a close. Parks and Recreation’s Aquatics Division recently announced that lifeguard staffing levels have improved, allowing it to increase access to city pools. All pools currently open will add one more weekend day to their schedules starting Sunday, July 11, “so pools currently in operation will be open for both days on the weekend, and pools will be open five days a week instead of four.” In a news release, the Aquatics Division lists the obstacles it had to surmount in order to achieve this feat, including “the yearlong hiring freeze due to the pandemic, reduced training capacity due to Covid-19 health and safety protocols, and fewer experienced lifeguards on the roster. Aquatics staff will continue to hire and train lifeguards on an ongoing basis to maintain staffing levels at year-round pools, and in anticipation of next summer.” Find complete pool hours and reopening updates here.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?