Most Popular Stories
- City to ban unsafe fence designs
- Former city employee abused sick leave policy, audit says
- Manager, AFSCME at odds over mandates to return to offices
- On-street light rail route selected as best option for city’s mass transit plan
- Judge will see secret personnel file of Austin police officer charged with murder in Mike Ramos shooting death
Discover News By District
Learn to spot disinformation
Thursday, February 20, 2020 by Tai Moses
Think you can tell fact from fiction in political messaging? With the approach of the March primaries and the November general election, the public is being bombarded by a blitz of emails, opinions, articles, tweets, editorials, and even bumper stickers. Journalism professor Dr. Sharon Strover, UT Center for Media Engagement’s Jessica Collier, and Electronic Frontier Foundation-Austin President Kevin Welch will discuss the timely topic of disinformation in a panel sponsored by Common Ground for Texans. You’ll learn to spot disinformation, share responsibly on social media and identify “alternative facts” disseminated by a bot or foreign agent. Saturday, Feb. 22, noon-2 p.m., Old Quarry Branch Library, 7051 Village Center.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?