About the Author
Mike Kanin is the Publisher of the Austin Monitor. As such, he doesn't report on much--aside from the workings of the Monitor--any more. In his previous life as a freelance journalist, Kanin has written for the Washington City Paper, the Washington Post's Express, the Boston Herald, Boston's Weekly Dig, the Austin Chronicle, and the Texas Observer.
Most Popular Stories
- ‘Little Luckenbach’ could link Sam’s Town Point to $270M South Austin entertainment district
- City Council moves toward enshrining remote work options
- ABOR report highlights striking disparities in housing affordability
- As Austin grows, real estate leaders look at state of city’s character, reputation
- City releases new telework standards for its employees
Discover News By District
Hearing on ‘Source of Income’ protections
The Austin Human Rights Commission will consider a recommendation to the City Council to add “Source of Income” protections to the city’s Housing Discrimination Ordinance at its regular meeting today. The commission will take public comments. Source of Income protections are designed to keep low-income renters from discrimination because they derive all or part of their income from public assistance. The Austin Community Development Commission will consider a similar recommendation at its regular meeting Aug. 12. Today’s meeting is set for 5:30 p.m. at the Neighborhood Housing and Community Development Department, 1000 East 11th Street.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?