Most Popular Stories
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
- Austin throws $2.6 million more into project converting hotel into housing for elderly people without homes
- Staff, City Council continue to work on HOME initiative
Discover News By District
Healing veterans through the arts
Friday, October 8, 2021 by Tai Moses
A variety of exhibits, presentations and virtual experiences taking place from Oct. 11-Nov. 16 fall under the umbrella of the Austin Veteran Arts Festival, or AVAFest. According to the city, which is hosting several of the events, the purpose of AVAFest “is to promote and support veterans in the arts. Many veterans struggle with mental health issues and/or seeking treatment. The Austin Veteran Arts Festival aims to help heal through art therapy, an approach that allows people to express themselves in a nonverbal and non-threatening way that potentially helps individuals to understand themselves and their issues better.” View a full calendar of festival events here.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?