Most Popular Stories
- New forecast modeling puts Austin homeless population near 4,600
- Texas Legislature could derail Austin’s transit expansion
- Report: APD Training Academy curriculum review flawed, hampered by resistance to reform
- Austin Public Health offers $50 gift cards for COVID vaccinations and boosters
- Landmark Commission stalls demolition at former summer camp in Northwest Hills
Discover News By District
Get your wheels turning for Bike Month
Thursday, May 2, 2019 by Tai Moses
It’s springtime and the air is balmy, so there’s really no reason not to dust off your bicycle, pump up the tires, buckle on a helmet, and pedal off into the wild blue yonder. For those who may need additional encouragement, May is Bike Month and Austin Transportation has dreamed up a multitude of ways to get those human-powered wheels turning:
- Organize a group of friends to ride to school together for Bike to School Day, May 8.
- Commute to work on two wheels for Bike to Work Day, May 17. Bike Austin hosts this event, sponsored by the city, that features 40 fueling stations offering free coffee and munchies.
- Want to meet like-minded folks? Smart Trips Austin is trying to reduce drive-alone trips by encouraging groups of people to bike and use public transit together. Because everything’s more fun when you do it with a buddy.
- Check out the city’s online bike map to help plan bike-friendly trip routes.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?