Sections

About Us

 
Make a Donation
Fully-Local • Non-Partisan • Public-Service Journalism
 

Electric vehicle hubs come to Austin apartments

Monday, March 25, 2019 by Jessi Devenyns

In an effort to encourage more electric vehicles on Austin streets, local real estate developer Impact Developers has committed to including the infrastructure for electric vehicle chargers in all parking spaces in its new communities. Impact is currently constructing two “EV-Ready communities,” one in Leander and one in South Austin. The multifamily community in Leander will consist of 238 townhouse apartments, with 61 percent having garages equipped with EV outlets. For the remaining 39 percent that don’t have garages, the developers will run underground conduits to each parking space. In South Austin, a new development is in the works that will provide the infrastructure for EVs for all residents and visitors. Impact CEO Herman Cardenas said he hopes his projects encourage others to follow suit. “I hope that other developers/builders will do the same, as having EVs in apartment/condo communities is going to be key to its mass market adoption,” he said.

Join Your Friends and Neighbors

We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?

Back to Top