Most Popular Stories
- Report: Austin needs to take action to mitigate impacts of watercraft overcrowding on Lady Bird Lake
- Transit leaders preparing new Project Connect scenarios for March open house
- Google Fiber to expand presence in Travis County
- Texas Legislature could derail Austin’s transit expansion
- Salvation Army’s handling of downtown shelter closure draws Council criticism
Discover News By District
CTRMA adds bike and pedestrian project to its to-do list
Thursday, September 7, 2017 by Caleb Pritchard
The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority officially added the Colorado River Scenic Byway to the 183 South Project on Wednesday. Conceived as an active transportation component of the much larger toll lane construction effort, the byway will convert the existing steel truss Montopolis Bridge that spans the Colorado River to a shared-use bicycle and pedestrian crossing. Beneath that bridge and its adjacent highway viaducts, the CTRMA will also add approximately 185 parking spots, benches and restroom facilities. In 2014, the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization awarded the CTRMA $3.64 million in federal funding for the project. CTRMA Executive Director Mike Heiligenstein compared the vision of the project to the pedestrian bridge across Lady Bird Lake beneath MoPac Expressway. “This will rival that area in terms of aesthetics,” he declared.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?