About the Author
Mike Kanin is the Publisher of the Austin Monitor. As such, he doesn't report on much--aside from the workings of the Monitor--any more. In his previous life as a freelance journalist, Kanin has written for the Washington City Paper, the Washington Post's Express, the Boston Herald, Boston's Weekly Dig, the Austin Chronicle, and the Texas Observer.
Most Popular Stories
- ‘Little Luckenbach’ could link Sam’s Town Point to $270M South Austin entertainment district
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- City releases new telework standards for its employees
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
Discover News By District
City to address problems at Barton Springs spillway
City officials will discuss actions today that will be taken to respond to concerns about issues arising from the heavy use of the Barton Springs Spillway, the area just north of Barton Springs Pool, at a news conference. The Austin Parks and Recreation Department and the Austin Police Department have seen a 40 percent increase in crime-related activities in this metropolitan park area. Activities such as use of alcohol and illegal substances; theft; smoking; and other violations such as dogs off leash, will be addressed. PARD and APD officials plan a news conference at 11:30 a.m. today near the spillway just north of the Barton Springs Pool.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?