About the Author
Chad Swiatecki is a 20-year journalist who relocated to Austin from his home state of Michigan in 2008. He most enjoys covering the intersection of arts, business and local/state politics. He has written for Rolling Stone, Spin, New York Daily News, Texas Monthly, Austin American-Statesman and many other regional and national outlets.
Most Popular Stories
Discover News By District
Bond, open houses
The city scheduled a series of 10 community open houses throughout September and October to help residents learn about the November infrastructure bond issue. Voters will be able to vote on seven separate proposals totaling $925 million in new projects in areas such as affordable housing, flood mitigation, parks and recreation facilities, and public safety. In addition to the open houses, the city has posted a variety of educational materials, including a tax calculator, at austintexas.gov/2018bond.
The meetings for District 6 and District 9 were on Sept. 24 and 27, respectively; there is a copy of the presentation here. The rest of the open houses will take place in each City Council district according to the following schedule:
- District 1: Oct. 10, 6-8 p.m., Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex, 1156 Hargrave St.
- District 2: Oct. 8, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Southeast Branch Library, 5803 Nuckols Crossing Road
- District 3: Oct. 25, 6-8 p.m., Montopolis Recreation Center, 1200 Montopolis Drive
- District 4: Oct. 20, 12-2 p.m., Gus Garcia Recreation Center, 1201 E. Rundberg Lane
- District 5: Oct. 22, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Manchaca Road Library, 5500 Manchaca Road
- District 7: Oct. 15, 4:30-6:30 p.m., North Village Library, 2505 Steck Ave.
- District 8: Oct. 16, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Circle C Community Center, 7817 La Crosse Ave.
- District 10: Oct. 3, 4:30-6:40 p.m., Old Quarry Library, 7051 Village Center Drive
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?