Most Popular Stories
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
- Staff, City Council continue to work on HOME initiative
- Austin throws $2.6 million more into project converting hotel into housing for elderly people without homes
Discover News By District
“Austin While Black” to screen at MonkeyWrench Books
Thursday, July 23, 2015 by Nora Ankrum
MonkeyWrench Books will be hosting a screening Thursday evening of “Austin While Black,” a new Web series from journalists Evelyn Ngugi and Doyin Oyeniyi highlighting the lives of black Austinites. As described on the show’s website, the series tells “the stories that often get left out of discussions about Austin’s past, present, and future.” Tonight’s screening will include the first four episodes, which feature photographer Hakeem Adewumi, hip-hop group Magna Carda, restaurateur Nubian Queen Lola and dancer China Smith. Ngugi and Oyeniyi will lead a discussion on each episode. The event will be held at MonkeyWrench Books, 110 E. North Loop Blvd., from 7:30 to 9 p.m.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?