About the Author
Elizabeth Pagano is the editor of the Austin Monitor.
Most Popular Stories
- ‘Little Luckenbach’ could link Sam’s Town Point to $270M South Austin entertainment district
- Bathhouse working group suggests city start process to rename Barton Springs
- Demography map shows 90,000 new housing units wasn’t enough for Austin’s growth
- City releases new telework standards for its employees
- Austin Energy says e-bike rebate program on track to double in size
Discover News By District
AISD makes decision on District 7 seat
Tuesday, August 11, 2015 by Elizabeth Pagano
After two tied votes, the Austin Independent School District board of trustees will not pursue a November special election to fill District 7’s open seat. AISD officials announced the death of school board member Robert Schneider on July 28. Schneider was one of the longest-serving trustees on the current school board. He was elected to the board in 2002 and dedicated 13 years of service as the District 7 trustee. AISD board members voted twice on Tuesday night: first on whether or not to appoint someone to Schneider’s seat, then on whether or not to have a special election. Both votes were tied. Since the motion to have a special election did not win ahead of Tuesday night’s deadline, it failed. AISD board members will begin the process of appointing a member of the community to fill the seat until the next general election in November 2016.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?