About the Author
Mike Kanin is the Publisher of the Austin Monitor. As such, he doesn't report on much--aside from the workings of the Monitor--any more. In his previous life as a freelance journalist, Kanin has written for the Washington City Paper, the Washington Post's Express, the Boston Herald, Boston's Weekly Dig, the Austin Chronicle, and the Texas Observer.
Most Popular Stories
- Council considering allowing tiny homes, RVs as accessory dwelling units
- Are rents falling? Apartment association sees construction, weak demand causing ‘negative rent growth’
- Qadri sets sights on closing ‘windowless-apartment loophole’
- Austin joins fight against proposed private dam on South Llano River
- Travis Heights “gingerbread house” on track for historic landmark status
Discover News By District
Flood recovery meeting tonight
The third of three city open house meetings to offer information about the recovery from the October 2013 floods in Onion and Williamson Creeks is set tonight at Perez Elementary School. The open house will offer the opportunity for residents to visit with city staff from a variety of departments including Austin Resource Recovery, the Austin Fire Department, Code Compliance, Health and Human Services, Neighborhood Housing and Community Development, Planning and Development Review, Real Estate Services and Watershed Protection. Spanish language interpreters will be available as well as supervised children’s activities. The meeting is set for 5:30 p.m. at Perez Elementary, 7500 Pleasant Valley Road. For more information, visit this link.
Join Your Friends and Neighbors
We're a nonprofit news organization, and we put our service to you above all else. That will never change. But public-service journalism requires community support from readers like you. Will you join your friends and neighbors to support our work and mission?