About the Author
Mark Richardson is a multimedia journalist, editor and writer who has worked in digital, print and broadcast media for three decades. He is a nationally recognized editor and reporter who has covered government, politics and the environment. A journalism graduate from the University of Texas at Austin, he was recently awarded a Foundation for Investigative Journalism grant and has three Associated Press Managing Editors awards for excellence in reporting.
Most Popular Stories
- City to ban unsafe fence designs
- ‘There is no cure’: Austin urges people to keep dogs away from possibly toxic blue-green algae
- Austin’s light-rail plans set to advance after narrowly dodging Texas-sized wrecking ball
- On-street light rail route selected as best option for city’s mass transit plan
- Public Safety Commission, APD reach a detente
Discover News By District
Tip Sheet: Travis County Commissioners 10.7
Monday, October 6, 2014 by Mark Richardson
The Travis County Commissioners Court meets at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
In the interest of space, we’ve decided not to post the entire agenda here. The County Clerk’s office hosts a copy at its website.
Items of interest for Commissioners Court include:
1. RECEIVE COMMENTS REGARDING THE APPLICATION FOR A TEXAS MASS GATHERING ACT PERMIT UNDER CHAPTER 751 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE FROM PAY IT FORWARD ENTERTAINMENT GROUP FOR THE MUD VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT AND RELATED ISSUES.
2. RECEIVE COMMENTS REGARDING THE APPLICATION FOR A TEXAS MASS GATHERING ACT PERMIT UNDER CHAPTER 751 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE FROM ODYSSEY BMX FOR THE TEXAS TOAST BMX (BICYCLE MOTOCROSS) EVENT AND RELATED ISSUES.
Monitor’s Take: The Commission will consider issuing mass gathering permits for the two events. Each event promoter must provide Commissioners with a proposed public safety plan, including reports from the Austin/Travis County Health Authority, the Fire Marshall, the Sheriff’s Office and a traffic management plan. Only then will Commissioners consider approving the permits
4. RECEIVE COMMENTS REGARDING CONTRAFLOW OPERATIONS ON PEARCE LANE FROM KELLAM ROAD TO ROSS ROAD WITH REGARDS TO POST EVENT TRAFFIC OPERATIONS OF THE FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX NOVEMBER 2, 2014 IN PRECINCT FOUR. (COMMISSIONER GÓMEZ) (ACTION ITEM #9)
Monitor’s Take: Commissioners will receive comments regarding contraflow traffic operations on Pearce Lane from Kellam Road to Ross Road during post event traffic operations for the Formula One Grand Prix Nov. 2. There is some controversy surrounding county-planned roadway projectss near Circuit of the Americas facility that may come up during public comment on this event. However, COTA will bear all costs for the temporary change in traffic flow on race weekend.
Do you like this story?
There are so many important stories we don't get to write. As a nonprofit journalism source, every contributed dollar helps us provide you more coverage. Do your part by joining our subscribers in supporting our reporters' work.
Key Players & Topics In This Article
Travis County Commissioners Court: The legislative body for Travis County. It includes representatives from the four Travis County Precincts, as well as the County Judge. The County Judge serves as the chair of the Court.