About the Author
Mark Richardson is a multimedia journalist, editor and writer who has worked in digital, print and broadcast media for three decades. He is a nationally recognized editor and reporter who has covered government, politics and the environment. A journalism graduate from the University of Texas at Austin, he was recently awarded a Foundation for Investigative Journalism grant and has three Associated Press Managing Editors awards for excellence in reporting.
Most Popular Stories
Discover News By District
Tip Sheet: Travis County Commissioners 1-6
The Travis County Commissioners Court meets at 9 a.m. Tuesday in its first meeting of 2015. In the interest of space, we’ve decided not to post the entire agenda here. The County Clerk’s office posts a copy at its website.
Items of interest for Commissioners Court include:
1. CONSIDER AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION ON ORDER TO SELECT PLACES WHERE THE COMMISSIONERS COURT WILL HOLD ITS TERMS COMMENCING JANUARY 6, 2015. (JUDGE ECKHARDT)
2. CONSIDER AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION ON THE ADOPTION OF A RECURRING COMMISSIONERS COURT WORK SESSION SCHEDULE, WITH WORK SESSIONS TO BE HELD ON THE SECOND AND FOURTH THURSDAY OF EVERY MONTH BEGINNING FEBRUARY 2015. (JUDGE ECKHARDT)
Monitor’s take: The first meeting of the year for Commissioners will be taken up with mostly routine and procedural matters, some put forth by new County Judge Sarah Eckhardt. Action items 1 and 2 will determine in what venues the County Commissioner are authorized to meet and will establish a regular schedule of work sessions for Commissioners to preview upcoming issues, respectively.
15. CONSIDER AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION REGARDING BOARD AND COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS AND APPOINTMENTS FOR COMMISSIONERS COURT MEMBERS. (JUDGE ECKHARDT)
Monitor’s take: More procedural items. The Court will review and make Commissioner assignments to a variety of boards and commissions, both within the county and some on outside boards. May make suggestions this week and bring this back for a vote Jan. 13.
16. CONSIDER AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION ON THE FOLLOWING REAPPOINTMENTS TO THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF THE FOLLOWING EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICTS (ESD) TO SERVE IMMEDIATELY THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2016. (Backup)
17. CONSIDER AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION ON THE FOLLOWING REAPPOINTMENTS TO THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF THE FOLLOWING EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICTS (ESD) TO SERVE IMMEDIATELY THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2015. (Backup)
Monitor’s take: Commissioners will consider reappointment of current members of Emergency Service District board to new terms.
A1. CONSIDER AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION ON AN OFFER TO SELL APPROXIMATELY 4.7 ACRES OF UNDEVELOPED LAND LOCATED NORTHEAST OF THE INTERSECTION OF S.H. 130 AND U.S. 290 EAST IN PRECINCT ONE, FOR INCLUSION IN THE EASTERN CREEKS OPEN SPACE PROJECT AS PART OF THE 2011 BOND PROGRAM. (COMMISSIONER DAVIS) (EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO GOV’T. CODE ANN 551.071, CONSULTATION WITH ATTORNEY; AND GOV’T. CODE ANN 551.072, REAL PROPERTY)
Monitor’s take: Commissioners will go into executive session to consider buying a plot of land in the northeast part of the county for the Eastern Creeks Open Space project. This item has been on the Commission agenda several times in the past few months and it is now up to the new Commissioners Court to decide.
Do you like this story?
There are so many important stories we don't get to write. As a nonprofit journalism source, every contributed dollar helps us provide you more coverage. Do your part by joining our subscribers in supporting our reporters' work.
Key Players & Topics In This Article
Travis County Commissioners Court: The legislative body for Travis County. It includes representatives from the four Travis County Precincts, as well as the County Judge. The County Judge serves as the chair of the Court.